Bad habits can be formed as early as childhood, and can stem from an addictive personality, repetition of a behavior, or just from being lazy. Often bad habits come from “modeling” someone in our family who had the same bad habit. What may have been acceptable when we were kids, can be an unacceptable habit as an adult. For a good idea of how hypnosis can work for you in this area, read my article, “Lazy You… Procrastinating During the Holidays? It might not be laziness!“.
The definition of a bad habit is: Some thing we do or don’t do that hurts us either physically, emotionally or mentally (gives us low self worth or low esteem).
Through hypnosis there is a huge success rate with replacing bad habits with good ones or eliminating them altogether!
Types of habits successfully treated with hypnosis:
- Bad eating habits can make you fat and unhealthy. Through hypnosis you can alter the desire for those fatty, sugary foods and accept a new lifestyle and better choices.
- Nail Biting is an ugly habit as it makes your hands look horrible. Bleeding and torn cuticles can make socialization difficult and embarrassing. Hypnosis effectively eliminates the desire to bite or pick.
- Procrastination is a bad habit. It is an avoidance behavior that causes low self esteem and becomes a habit after many years. Procrastination responds really well to post hypnotic suggestions. Once the behavior is altered your self confidence and pride.
- Teeth grinding creates jaw pain and often is done subconsciously at night while sleeping, although it also happens while deep into concentration. It makes sense to go to the subconscious mind to eliminate this habit.
Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors:
- Chronic hair pulling; Trichotillomania (trick-o-til-o-MAY-nee-ah) is a disorder that causes people to pull out the hair from their scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows, pubic area, underarms, beard, chest, legs or other parts of the body, resulting in noticeable bald patches. Hair pulling varies greatly in its severity, location on the body, and responds to treatment. For some people, at some times, trichotillomania is mild and can be quelled with a bit of extra awareness and concentration. For others, at times the urge may be so strong that it makes thinking of anything else nearly impossible. Click here to visit the Trichotillomania Learning Center website.
- Chronic skin picking (CSP) is a serious and poorly understood problem. People who suffer from CSP repetitively touch, rub, scratch, pick at, or dig into their skin, often in an attempt to remove small irregularities or perceived imperfections. It can occur when a person experiences feelings such as anxiety, fear, excitement or boredom. Some people report that the act of repetitively picking at their skin is pleasurable. Many hours can be spent picking the skin, and this repetitive behavior can negatively impact a person’s social, work, and family relationships.
- Biting the insides of the cheeks is more common than you think and can cause mouth sores and can be very painful. It can be caused by anxiety but often then turns into a habit.
- Severe nail biting is more devastating than the occasional nail biting habit. It is more destructive to the nail beds and cuticle areas and often includes picking the skin around the nails. It causes pain as well as embarrassment for the sufferer, especially when they have to shake hands possibly resulting in avoidance of social activity.
“Laurie Miller has changed my life. In one session, I was able to completely eliminate a lifelong (over 40 year!) habit of hair pulling, which is a debilitating condition called Trichotillomania. I had literally tried everything to stop my compulsion to pull. Behavior modification, support groups, medication, distraction tools, wearing gloves, etc., etc. Laurie asked the right questions to get to the heart of the “benefits” I was getting from this destructive behavior – and by reframing the need, I simply lost the urge to pull – and have been growing a full head of thick hair for the first time in my adult life. She is very good at what she does. Insightful, compassionate and talented. I highly recommend giving Laurie and her hypnosis approach a try for any thoughts or behavior that is no longer serving you well!”
And two testimonials for Laurie and Judy’s August 2011 Procrastination Workshops…
“I enjoyed the crosstalk between Laurie & Judy regarding the different personality types in regards to procrastination issues. We all procrastinate at times & learning tools to get by procrastination was very valuable. As always I enjoyed Laurie’s hypnosis session at the close of the seminar.”
“I just enjoyed the overall presentation & got some personal satisfaction from it as I feel it was one more little “plus’ in my own self improvement. It was valuable to learn the thought patterns of the two personalities & gain some insight into what drives our (my) little hiccups.”
“Laurie, I thought the session was very valuable and really enjoyed seeing both you and Judy take on the different roles. That helped me understand how my own procrastination could be viewed by others. I’ve been so diligent about my job search in the last week, I can tell that the session helped me focus my efforts.”
Want these types of results? Call Hypnosis Concepts today!